Clarias Spp Catfish (Post-Fingerlings)
The Clarias spp is well recommended for farmers raising smoked catfish or fish farmers who raise their fishes for two to six months. They attain a weight of 1kg within 5 to 6 months. The post fingerlings can grow up to 8cm in length.
The Clarias Spp (African Catfish) are cannibals. Hence, farmers need to properly sort them into different sizes and put them in the appropriate ponds to avoid the bigger ones from feeding on the smaller ones.
Before Arrival of Fingerlings
- Cleaning and preparation of ponds (fertilization and liming)
- Cleaning of the environment against pests and insects
- Checking the water supply to the ponds
- Check pH level of your water( moderate pH level 6.0)
- Check the inlet and outlets if they are in good condition for effective flow through
Arrival of Fingerlings
- Put them inside the pond and start the flow through for them immediately.
- Feed them after 7 hours of arrival
- Use natural antibiotics for them ( Bitter leaves)
- Add salt to their water.
- Choose a feeding point for them.
- If you notice an increase in mortality rate hours after arrival, add an anti-stress drug to there feed.
- Change the water inside the pond at least every 3 days.
- Regularly check the pH level of water.
- Clean the pond at least once in a week in order to avoid ammonia production inside the pond.
- Regularly check the fish swimming pattern if there swimming is slow or fast. If the swimming is slow, contact your consultant or specialist immediately.